Andy’s Cranberry and Pepperoncini Jelly
Winter is here and our thoughts have turned to Christmas! We have been busy in the restaurant getting ready for the festive season, making delicious pickles and preserves to wow our guests over the Christmas period. Next Sunday, 24th November is officially ‘Stir it up Sunday”, the last Sunday before advent when families traditionally get together and make their Christmas cakes and puddings. It’s a great excuse to get everyone in the kitchen and also a chance to fill the home with beautiful sweetly spiced aromas. Andy recommends preparing condiments well in advance too, not only are they one less thing to worry about, but extra time in a jar gives all the wonderful flavours time to develop and mingle. Here is Andy’s recipe for a Cranberry jelly with a spicy Italian twist. this slightly spiced sweet jelly is fantastic with roasts and a delicious addition to Boxing Day buffets and cheese boards:
12 Red Pepperocini (or other sweet and mildly spicy red chilli)
4 Red Peppers
3 Cups cider vinegar
11 Cups sugar
11 Gelatine leaves
– Puree the pepperoncini and peppers in a food processor into a smooth paste.
– Place in a large pan with the sugar and vinegar.
– Bring this mixture to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes or until sugar is dissolved.
– Dissolve gelatine in cold water until soft, then add to the sugar mixture with the cranberries.
– Stir the mixture to ensure the cranberries are evenly spread throughout.
– Store in a cool, dry cupboard until Christmas (if you can wait that long).