Fregola Salad Recipe
Fregola is a bead-shaped pasta from Sardinia. It has a nice chewy bite to it and like its middle-eastern counterpart couscous, it is a great base for summer salads.
Simple basic Fregola salad recipe – serves 4:
1) Take 200g of the Fregola and add it to a boiling pan of lightly salted water.
2) Stir occasionally until the Fregola is al dente (or to your taste), which is roughly about 15 minutes.
3) Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
4) While the Fregola is still warm, add any seasonal vegetables and herbs that you have to hand. For example: add in some tomatoes, chopped roughly; thinly sliced red onion or add some of the roast veggies from the BBQ (see Andy’s top tips from the BBQ blog).
5) Finally, splash in some good olive oil, add a little red wine vinegar, lemon juice and season to taste. Garnish with fresh basil and serve.
Top Tip: A good way of using up your fridge-ends, use cheese, peppers, cucumber, anything you might want to use up. Also the fregola salad can taste even better when served the next day.