Pancake Day Sicilian Style- Hannah’s Cannoli Inspired Pancake Recipe
As part of our Sicilian season lunches, Pastry Chef Hannah has created a zesty recipe inspired by cannoli for Pancake Day. Cannoli are traditional Sicilian pastry tubes filled with flavoured ricotta, traditionally eaten during festival season. Hannah’s made her tubes from pancakes and stuffed them with a tangy, sweet ricotta and mascapone filling. Recreate them at home using this super simple recipe:
For the Pancakes:
50g Melted butter
500ml Whole milk
A little oil and melted butter mixed together for frying
For the Filling:
A Vanilla pod
Zest of three oranges
Zest of two lemons
For the Topping:
Juice of three oranges
Icing sugar for dusting
Extra Mascapone (optional)
What to do:
– Whisk together all the pancake ingredients (apart from the mixed oil and butter for frying). Set this aside in the fridge for half an hour to an hour.
– Meanwhile, scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod and fold in with the other ingredients for the filling using the back of a spoon. Pop into the fridge to use later.
– In a saucepan create the topping by combining the orange juice with the butter and warming on a medium heat until reduced to a sticky consistency.
– Fry the batter into pancakes.
– Use two table spoonfuls of the ricotta mixture to fill each pancake, roll up, then drizzle over the orange topping and decorate with a couple of fresh orange segments, a dusting of icing sugar and a dollop of mascapone if you are feeling indulgent.